* Are shingles missing.
* Are the gutters in good shape, do they need to be cleaned?
* Look at the ridges and valleys of the roof are they in good condition?
* Are nail heads popping up? ( this lets water under the shingle.)
* Look at the vent pipes and the coverings around them, are they in good condition?
When doing bids for the roof, do these things:
* Take photos of the roof so that you can prove the damage that needs to be taken care of.
* Know the size of the area that needs to be taken care of.
* Know the product ( all of them- like shingles, nails, tare and so on) you will be using and how much they will cost you.
Do different bids to:
* Tarp the area that needs to taken care of.
* Replace all the roof.
* Patch the roof.
* If other repairs are needed bid for that as well ( like the video below shows).
This video shows the things that you need to look for.
D&D Taking Out The Trash, LLC